Saturday, November 29, 2008

Remembering the Gary Plant

I found the Budd Blog very nostalgic. I started with the company at Budd Gary in 1971. Mr first Plant Manager was H.K. Hockenbery, one of the finest plant managers that I have had the privilege to serve. He was succeeded by a very dynamic, demanding and exemplary leader, Robert A Bitting who also happened to be Commander-in-Chief of the U. S. Naval Reserve, MI. He set an example that any Annapolis graduate would be proud of and I was very fortunate to serve him as well. I am Lucius Woodson and was known as Buddy Woodson. When we closed our plant in 1982, some of my colleagues went to Detroit and some went to Philly. I chose to remain and find work in and around Gary, Indiana.

Perhaps you know some of them: R. A. Bitting, Don Bormes, Steve Gallegos, L. C. Williams, Kellemburger, John Kaminski, Al Jackson, Dave Wimmer, John Seebrook, Adam Sierkowski, Rodriquez, and many others. I lost track of everyone but I know that they are OK because they have had the Budd Experience and will do well anywhere.

Yours truly,

Buddy Woodson #11716

Blogger's Note: After the Gary Plant closed, many of the executives came to the Corporate Offices in Troy. Among them were: Jim Wahlman and Dave Verbeke, both in Human Resources. H.K. (Ken) Hockenberry also made the transition. Ken passed away in 2006at the age of 91.