Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bill Okamoto -- Life After Budd

Hi:

I have noticed that Paul Flancbaum has created a Budd Co. blog, so I will take advantage of it and tell you where I am. I am Bill Okamoto formerly of the Corporate Offices. I retired after over 42 years with the Company. I started at the Red Lion Plant, Railway Division in 1948 – I was transferred back and forth between the Red Lion Plant and the Philadelphia Plant. When the corporate offices moved from the Philadelphia Plant to Troy, MI I was transferred to the Philadelphia Plant and made part of the move to Troy. I retired in 1990 and enjoyed being part of The Budd Company during those years – I made many friends in every location of the Company. I had a son that also worked at the Philadelphia Plant, but had an unfortunate accidental death while he was in the Philadelphia area. My wife died in 1985 after we had relocated and built our home on 20 acres in Goodrich, MI. I still have 3 sons, a daughter-in-law and 3 grandchildren residing in Michigan.



After retirement, I moved to Fairfield Glade, TN where I met a wonderful woman who became my wife. We moved to Florida and built three large homes there, but unfortunately she passed away from Melanoma cancer. I then moved back to Fairfield Glade, TN but encountered several health problems – including a coma. I reasoned that if I were to be stricken with a coma again, I would be better off living near my family; therefore, I have purchased a Condo in Troy, MI. My only problem is that the real estate market in Tennessee is absolutely flat and I desire to sell my home here prior to moving back to Troy.



So that brings you up to date with a former Budd Company employee – and I wish to extend my greetings to the many friends and acquaintances that I had made through The Budd Company and Thyssen Krupp.



Bill Okamoto